Monday, March 28, 2011

Internet Empowerment

Do you feel empowered by the internet?

The concept of empowerment by the internet really is no different from any other tool. The computer itself is tool of empowerment, as are the programs on it. Without advances in 3D software development, I wouldn't have pursued an art degree. The tools on my computer give me the ability to make the art I want to make. In the same means the internet empowers me to connect to friends, post my works, and learn new things.

Yes, it is true that the internet is an absolutely integral part of my life. I use it constantly to learn new things, communicate, and work. Empowerment clearly comes with the internet, among many other things. It is truly a great tool for fast tracking the advancement of knowledge and humanity. The censorship we see in the less free parts of the world is not at all surprising, as the internet provides the opportunity to learn and organize. It truly is a tool of empowerment, and while it has been used to spread ignorance, the truth often wins out if you look in the right places.

It's no doubt that the internet has empowered me in many ways, and it is certainly true that it is a tool for empowerment in struggling 3rd world countries. My question is for all that it does and has done to change the world, is it a human right to have access to it? As powerful as it is, the internet is still a tool, just like the computer, a car, a cell phone, etc. It would fall under an implement of another human right: the right to learn. Education was primarily done through analog formats such as books, but there is real opportunity to fight biased writers and euro-centric thinking by using the internet. I think it could certainly be listed as a critical need that people below the poverty level don't have access to. (like food, running water, cars)

No comments:

Post a Comment